The Hellhole

Monday, February 02, 2004

I had a really fun weekend! Friday night I had dinner with our Resident Salesweasel and his fiancee (whom I had not met before but liked instantly). Saturday I ran a few errands of the good kind involving World Market. Then Saturday night my brother came over, we watched some puck and played PS2 all night - literally. We went to bed after 6 AM and got up about noon-thirty, when it was time for me to get cleaned up and head to the ‘rents for their Super Bowl party. By the way, allow me to direct attention to the fact that I was right about the winner of the game (although I lost $5 on the over/under), so the accuracy percentage of the Parseghian Principle has increased. I don’t feel like calculating it right now, though, so I’ll just gloat about being right.

The Super Bowl may be overhyped but it’s an excuse to get together, quaff a few beers and eat way too much rich party food - and that’s just not wrong. My father missed most of the halftime show playing Tom Clancy’s Rainbow 6 on his computer; apparently he was not informed ahead of time that there would be frontal nudity. Upon returning to the living room, he got the names of Kid Rock and Janet Jackson right but for whatever reason referred to a certain ex-N’Sync member as “Dustin Whimpersnake”. I dunno why that struck me as so damn funny, but it did.

My brother brought over James Bond: 007 Nightfire, among other games. We played for a bit and I was quite disheartened to learn that I make a pathetically rotten spy. I’d thought for years that espionage was probably my true forte. I kept letting this one guy, “Rook”, get away and, determined not to let that happen again, snuck deviously around a corner and promptly blew my brother to smithereens. It’s okay, Mom, he regenerated.

My mom gave me a lucky bamboo that her friend Lisa arranged; very thick, lovely green bamboo in a pretty square glass jar filled with natural pebbles. My new plant made it all the way home intact and without incident. I put it on the kitchen counter so it’d get sun from the window and was in bed about 10 minutes before Finnovar knocked it over. Why is he so anti-plant?!? He even hates silk ones; he’s such a GUY. I guess I shouldn’t complain: he knocked it over, not off, so it didn't break AND he was thoughtful enough to knock it at the correct angle so the water ran right into the sink. I tried to repot it (or rerock it) but I have really terrible luck with plants. I was hoping to avoid touching it, thus increasing its chances for survival, but that didn't happen. Will it bring terrible bad luck if you kill your lucky bamboo in the first week? I sure hope not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home