The Hellhole

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Here it is - my first entry into my first blog. I guess I should explain that the title isn't meant to convey an unpleasant, unbearable place; it's supposed to be a kinda-pun on my name. Also, thanks to my friend NCH who kept urging me to do this and provided helpful instructions. She also said I was a very funny, entertaining writer...hmm, more pressure. Did I do anything funny last night? Did I do anything last night?

There are many, many reasons why someone at my level of income and financial obligations should not have a housekeeper, but they all fall instantly into oblivion when I inhale that heady smell of lemon Pledge, Clorox and the mingled potpourri of clean that can only mean: Miss Betty's been today!!! If I should have some unexpected financial difficulty, I might wind up living off soda crackers and tap water but Miss Betty would stay. It's also a lot easier to keep things in order if I know that she'll be there every 2 weeks; motivation not to allow things to fall into complete disarray.

Miss Betty told me when she started 3 years ago that she'd wash the sheets and towels, but she didn't do folks' "personals". I was cool with that, but the arrangement only lasted a month or so until she caught on to the way I did laundry, that being: I used the washer as a dirty clothes hamper and when it got full, I'd dump in some soap and turn it on. She was horrified as only a true born-and-raised Southern woman of her generation can be. I've done maybe 4 loads of laundry since. Best friend/sister Cheryl refers to my dryer (or maybe my washer, I'm not sure which) as "the white square thing where Miss Betty stacks the clean clothes". Sad, but true.

I was very smug and self-satisfied recently because I did an entire load of laundry All By Myself. Everything came out clean, unwrinkled and pretty much the same size as when it went in. I did hockey jerseys and underwear. It gives me pause to think that I own sufficient hockey jerseys that enough of them could be dirty at any one time to constitute an entire load of laundry. I'm not sayin' it's a good thing or a bad thing, it just gives me pause.

Speaking of hockey, my beloved St. Louis Blues are in town tonight playing the Thrashers, so any way the puck drops it's going to be a great hockey night for Helly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home