The Hellhole

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Last evening we went outside to watch the lunar eclipse. We weren't able to watch the beginning or see the peak of the event because it started so early; both because of how light it was outside and the moon being too low on our horizon to break the tree line, we didn't get to see anything until the eclipse was waning. It was still very cool, seeing an orange-y glow surrounding the moon and the shadow of the earth moving off toward the right. In my area, clouds blew by at a fast clip, so our view was not obscured for very long at a time but the clouds added a shivery, spooky effect. It was fun.

I'm not "into" astronomy exactly - I don't own a telescope or have a particular interest in the space program. But I love seeing unusual stellar events, like eclipses or the Perseid, Leonid and Orionids meteor showers. I was pleased to see some of this lunar eclipse even though I couldn't see the whole thing.

After I came indoors, I told the boys, "I've just been out seeing an eclipse!" Their reactions couldn't have been less enthusiastic. Finnovar yawned and said he didn't care unless fish were involved and Sprocket said, "An eclipse? A stupid Mitsubishi? Wow, thrillsville. Call me when you're going out to see a Ferrari." At least Alan was willing to watch it with me.

So today I made a treat for my darling: Alton Brown's fried macaroni and cheese. He seemed to enjoy it - heh. Here is my assembly line of seasoned flour, egg wash and panko flakes. I like making stuff Alan enjoys. This is too heart-unfriendly for him to have it often, but once in a while it's okay.

1 Comments:

  • Bucky was very disinterested in the 'taclipse' but Satchel enjoyed it; he bayed and howled until it was over. Then he cried to come inside....doggyboys...hmpf

    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home